Saturday, July 31, 2010

Class Consciousness is not Classism

In my graduating year of high school, during an English course, I remember a rather profound disagreement I had with a peer of mine. It was over whether my statement that mothers’ magazines tend to be geared towards the middle class implied that “poor women can’t read”. I was firmly of the conviction that my proposition entailed no such thing, but it reveals a tendency in our reform liberal society that I want to address. That is, the association of class analysis with classism and how it’s limited our ability to deal with the stark realities of structural inequalities.

The dispute happened when – as a classroom – we reviewed the techniques of literary analysis. To conduct this pedagogical exercise we read a short story (probably published in a parenting magazine) on a mother’s experience with her son’s sadness after his first breakup (as a twist at the end, it is revealed her son isn’t sad so much as confounded on how to interact with his new girlfriend - something the reader and mother don’t uncover until the conclusion of the story). We English students had to give out some ideas as to who the intended audience was – generic statements like “mothers” or “parents” or even “women” sufficed.

I, on the other hand, took it to a more fine-grained level and asserted that middle class women would be the main audience for that piece. A peer of mine in the room completely misinterpreted the assertion and rhetorically asked if I was saying that “poor women can’t read ... because if you are, I disagree.” In hindsight this strikes me as intellectually lazy self-righteousness at its worst.

My actual claim was that since the working poor and (to a lesser extent) working class in general spend more time working and eking out a living, they’d have less time to read parental magazines. My genuine claim actually contained a little bit of reverse snobbery – I felt that only parents with at least a middle class level of income could truly afford to mull over what – to the vast majority of the world – would seem like trivialities.

Another person I spoke to told me that “while that may generally be true” I shouldn’t make such generalizations as occasionally there are some people who do read a lot and end up on the fringes. This person gave me an example of somebody they knew who was a (verbal and visual-spatial) genius that obtained great pleasure out of reading textbooks yet was homeless.

This was also a misinterpretation of my proposition. I never said there were no hyper-literate people who had fallen through the cracks of society and not even that there were no generationally poor bibliophiles. My claim was simply that the working poor tended not to buy frivolous lifestyle magazines and the editorial content of those magazines was influenced by that fact.

“While you’re right, it’s bad to generalize” is a pretty daft counterargument – as the people who make magazines work on the basis of market demographic generalizations!

Less you think I am some high minded latte leftist who lectures on about social class with no real life experience of the near bottom let me give you some autobiographical details. Most of my childhood was spent in a working poor single-parent household in the North End of Winnipeg. I wasn’t apart of anything resembling a large close nit family – it was just me and my single parent. While I didn’t realize it at the time, much of the time and effort of my parent went into securing ends meet. There were none of the structured enrichment activities many of my generationally middle class peers in high school had – although some of this was due to my profound aloofness and introversion as a child1.

While my parent managed to successfully beat the cycle of poverty and has moved on up into the middle class, lest not you think I’m ignorant of the immense structural hurdles one must overcome to climb up that ladder. I firmly believe our society is only marginally meritocratic when it comes to social mobility – differences in position between the super-rich and the poor are due more from historical accident than innate talent. Talent isn’t strictly preserved – familial wealth is2.

And this brings me to a crucial point – why talk of social class is so “politically incorrect” in Canada. Whereas traditional conservatism depends on praising structural inequalities to avoid redressing them, reform liberalism avoids talk of it altogether. Speaking of social class as if it were real therefore entails snobbery or classism rather than the simple acknowledgment that a spade is a spade.

This tendency does not blunt the reality of structural inequality to all but the most delusional of people. Tough conditions will continue and their effects will be widespread whether or not we like to artificially compartmentalize them – that is to say, fantasize that a boy whose mother or father had to work long hours each day or try to manage money or even try to ease the burden of their existence, would be in as optimal a position as someone born in suburbs with a 100K family savings account to be the beneficiary of early reading and enrichment. That is absurd!

Social inequality pervades all facets of life – it cannot be abstracted away from any situation easily – it is not a localized feature. Social class has global effects on a person. Until we as a nation realize this, visions of a fairer society will be pipedreams.

ENDNOTES

1.There was some opportunity for athletic activities – indeed, even encouragement from my parent – but a lack of motivation and horrendous motor coordination closed off that avenue.
2. Indeed, it is because I hold this true that I was once offended by a peer of mine in high school who suggested I was the “brains of the family” considering my relatives were working class, working poor, or plain old poor. This implied that the social class system of Canada is completely or predominantly meritocratic, something I deny.

2 comments:

  1. Great analysis! How unfortunate that the acknowledgement that a person's class position influences many aspects of their life can be so easily misunderstood as being “classist.” How could it be a controversial position to state that silly lifestyle magazines are primarily enjoyed by (and designed for, and marketed to) the middle class?

    Not only are the subscription and newsstand prices a bit of a giveaway, the content of vapid, consumption-centric magazines like Good Housekeeping or Today's Parent give us some clues as to their target audience. In what passes for “articles,” readers are treated to such fascinating topics as whether a homemade or store-bought holiday wreath is the best way to go this festive season. The pros and cons of each are explored at length (“The natural route will fill your living room with a fresh, earthy pine fragrance, though unfortunately at the expense of needles occasionally embedding themselves in your carpet!”), but the fact that you simply must have a wreath adorning your home at Christmastime is taken for granted, as are the facts that you will be throwing elaborate holiday parties, you will be custom-wrapping gifts, and you will be shampooing your carpet.

    The always-thoughtful parenting discussions in these magazines agonize over the big question: “To Stay Work or Not to Work,” presenting at-home parenting as “a tempting opportunity to log quality time with your youngsters each and every day” and meaningful work (always part-time, of course) as a chance for “a break,” or “some adult conversation” or “to put aside a few extra bucks for a special pamper-me treat – you deserve it!” And of course, interspersed among the frivolity are pages and pages of ads, for everything from paper towels to Baby Einstein. For those in the working class who do have anything resembling leisure time, and who use it for reading, I can hardly imagine what of any relevance they would find in 200 pages portraying work as a hobby and conspicuous consumption as a given.

    I particularly liked your point about how conservative streams of discourse praise class inequalities, while liberal discourse chooses to avoid talk of them altogether, with both approaches having the same result: that said inequalities are neatly maintained. I think we see this with racial inequality to some extent as well, with “colourblindness” being the liberal position, and acknowledgement of racial disparity (socio-economically, in political participation, in incarceration rates, etc.) being received as crass or even racist. Both types of liberalism have the effect of silencing discussion and pretty much totally paralysing possibilities for change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " particularly liked your point about how conservative streams of discourse praise class inequalities, while liberal discourse chooses to avoid talk of them altogether, with both approaches having the same result: that said inequalities are neatly maintained."

    To be fair, I did get that point from a book by Anton Allahar and James E. Côté called "Richer and Poorer: The Structure of Inequality in Canada". But thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete